Friday, May 09, 2008

Have bag, will shop (hopefully)


This bag is a gift for a friend who lives in a major city and who does not own a car and I hope she has use for a shopping bag with a stuff sack (bravo to her for existing without one for nearly a year after her Honda with totaled by a drunk driver).

I used the shopping bag pattern (tutorial) from Lisa Lam's U-handbag. Since she’s a UK girl I had to call a friend of mine and ask for help with some of the metric to Imperial conversation. Yes, yes, I know, it’s so stupid that the US is not on metric.

It was surprisingly difficult to find fabric to match the ladies. I shelved the fabric I initially bought and while I do think the handles and bottom are a bit overbearing (like the maker), red is always fun. Using fusible fleece for the handles is a great idea, soft and cozy--good thinking Lisa Lam!

This was my first go-around with a one-way directional print which means I had to think really hard about how to cut the fabric because twice I ended up with upside down kabuki ladies. I'm also a lazy sewer and didn't mark the fabric correctly so it's actually not a gusset but a curved bottom.

When will I stop giving prototypes as presents?

Fabric:

Sisters of the Golem Temple by Alexander Henry from JoAnn Fabrics

Daisy by Kaffe Fassett for Westminster Fabrics purchased from Sowing Sisters

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

This is GORGEOUS! Love the fabric and the colours.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home