Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Kate Spade Ain't Got Nothing on Me


After the defeat of the nightgown I thought I’d post a project that I successfully completed in September, the Velma purse, again using an Amy Butler pattern and her fabric too. I used the Covington fabric which is no longer displayed on her site. I don’t have pictures of the inside, which is nearly corresponding stripes.

In retrospect I think the pattern is a little too busy to do an entire purse although within forty-eight hours after finishing it a woman in the grocery did compliment me, unsolicited, unlike my friends who had to deal with me parading my purse around listening to me scream, “I made this!” Although after the anonymous complimenter gave said compliment she saw the look of pride and self-promotion on my face and continued, “You made that, didn’t you?”

I have lots of fabric left over and I’m wondering if it might look cute on as a toddler dress.

Notes about Construction:

Instead of using Velcro, as recommended, as a fastener I splurged and bought a magnetic clasp. It was incredibly easy to put in and well worth the $4. I had a fairly thick leather wallet at the time and didn’t have any credit cards erased.

Even though the pattern calls to use canvas which is then covered by the show fabric and lining it didn't seem that strong. That combined with its thin, rectangular shape proved challenging when I loaded it up with a wallet, address book, calendar, small notebook and travel-sized toiletries. When the flap was clasped, it stretched across all the items in the purse, exposing the contents at each end. It looked horrible. Maybe I should just carry less stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger jdknits said...

Ah the eternal problem: cute bag or "all the stuff I actually need to make me feel secure leaving the house"?

Just be glad you don't have to ram a spare diaper, some wipes, a binky and possibly a Hot Wheels car or three in there too!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home