Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cutting

I’m a sloppy sewer. Actually, I’m a sloppy everything.I started this nightgown with fabric a friend bought me and the first road block I hit was a puckering dart.

Once that was fixed, thanks to help from my sewing teacher, I moved on to sewing the front of the nightgown to the back. That’s when I realized that I am a worse cutter than I am a sewer. The edges weren’t matching and rather than fixing it I kept on sewing, thinking, “It’s just for me, it’s fine.” It’s not fine because I was equally as lackadaisical when I cut and pieced together the front and back facings (fabric sewn on the raw edge of a garment piece that is turned under and serves as a finish for the edge as well) so the nightgown would not lay right.

I crumbled up the nightgown and throw it into my bag grumbling to myself, swearing I’ll be a better cutter on my next project.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jdknits said...

Ah, this sounds so much like my work.

I've learned, from knitting and cooking (and from writing now that I come to think of it) that you WILL get better if you stick at it and embrace the mistakes as lessons.

Sadly I haven't had the patience to do that with the sewing machine yet. I think it's the noise...

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home